Saturday, November 19, 2011

Uber Yummo Spinach Dip

I've recently become a fan of spinach dip and so I thought I would try making it myself (as I did with the hummus). This is my friend Heidi's recipe which she gratefully gave to me (thanks Heidi!) after I tried it at her book party. She had pulled this recipe from her memory and in the recipe it says to add 2 pkgs of lite cream cheese- now I thought this was too cheesy in the end result so from now on I think I'll try 1 1/2 pkgs, but that's completely my preference. If you're a cheesy-lovin spinach dip person, stick with the 2 pkgs! :)

What You'll Need:
2 packages of lite cream cheese
1/2 cup mayo
1/4 cup grated parmesan
2 tsp pepper
1 can spinach, drained & squeezed as dry as possible
1/2 cup artichokes
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 can water chesnuts, sliced then minced
salt to taste

Now, I had no idea how to ' drain and squeeze the spinach as dry as possible', and tried squeezing the spinach with my hands, while wasting and getting spinach all over my sink. Thank goodness chef extraordinaire Irene came over to help me with this part. She put the spinach in a paper towel and squeezed over the sink. Thanks Reenee! She also showed me how to get the cloves of garlic out of the bulb and mince them. Reminder- I am a newby when it comes to this stuff ;)

So, basically throw all of your ingredients in a saucepan over low heat on the stove. Gradually increase the heat until it gets 'melty'. Stir continually to avoid sticking.

Yummo! We enjoyed our spinach dip with some awesome pita bread. Mmmm.... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment