Sunday, November 27, 2011

Katrina's Super Sweet Steamburgers

Okay, so I have to give much deserved credit to my friend Katrina who gave me this recipe. She had brought over a crockpot full of steamburger mixture some time ago and my entire family fell in love with them. So now we make them almost once a week! Thanks Katrina!

What is a steamburger you ask? Well basically this recipe would probably be compared to sloppy joes, but in my opinion, and Katrina's as well, these taste much better.

I have been wanting to try this recipe with Boca or MorningStar Farms meatless ground crumbles, but have yet to try that variation.. when I do I will let you know how they turn out!

This recipe makes a large amount, lets say for a group of people or a large family.. so let's say you're making it for a small family, just split up the ingredients. Okay, so let's begin:
4-5 lbs of hamburger
chopped onion (I use dried onion flakes)
2 cups ketchup
4 tbsp vinegar
4 tbsp sugar
4 tsp mustard
4 tsp worchestershire sauce
1 cup water
salt & pepper

Brown your hamburger with the onion. Now I can't stand chunky hamburger. I need my hamburger super fine..as I related my problem to my friend, she went out and bought me this meat masher thingy. Now I have no idea what it's REALLY called, and honestly I use it to mash all sorts of stuff including potatoes, so it's wonderful. I recommend this tool to everyone!
After your hamburger and onion are nice and cooked, drain (and rinse if preferred). Add the rest of the ingredients and stir. Simmer 5-10 minutes before serving (or however long you want the meat to soak up the yummo flavor).
I serve my steamburgers in hot dog buns so the meat has less places to fall out..
So there you have it! I recommend this recipe to anyone who loves sloppy joes.
Thanks Katrina!

No comments:

Post a Comment