Sunday, January 29, 2012

Sewing A Simple Draw-String Pouch

As I am trying to go through in my head to what I will be needing to take to the hospital for the arrival of our baby girl, I am remembering all of those little things that I know I'd forget if rushed out of the house, such as my contacts case, contact solution, glasses, makeup, deodorant, toothbrush/paste, comb etc.. So as I'm mentally preparing myself to bring these things, I am searching for a makeup case or something to gather it all in.. to no avail I find nothing. My makeup case is literally a black hole where you can neither find anything in and/or fit anything else in to it.. so that was a no-go.. So finding nothing I remembered.. HEY! I have fabric, I have a sewing machine! What the hell... it can't be that hard to make my own!

So I gathered some fabric and hemp..
The fabric piece I used was 18x11.
I folded that in half. I folded down the top part about 3/4" for the string of hemp. This would be where you'd scrunch your bag together to close when finished.
Check out my fatty fingers! Ha ha. I'm supposed to limit my salt intake to help with swelling of hands, feet. Cheese is one food I was told that I should limit.. Yeah right like that's going to happen..
Okay so back to the project..
See on the left side of the picture where I'm folding down the fabric and at the corner it looks funky? Well cut a little slit down the side to the length of your fold. Then pin this side down to secure. Do the same on the other side. Then unfold your fabric.
Sew all across the fold that you have pinned down.
Oh yeah, one thing I forgot- Put your hemp/string/whatever through this fold BEFORE sewing. It's not to fun trying to put it through after you're done.. I know.

After you have your fold sewed, fold your fabric back together again to make the pouch. Then just sew the sides.
Easy peasy.
I added some beads to the end of my string..
Now I am more than ready for my hospital stay!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment